Re: Almost there

Gary,

On Monday 18 July 2005 03:31 pm, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Frederik Schueler wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:07:22PM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
> >>pivot_root: No such file or directory
> >>/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> >>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
> >
> >Make sure your boot-loader loads the initrd along with the kernel.

	There's no question that the initd is being loaded. That is what is giving
you the error message. All the drivers necessary to mounting the HD have been
loaded and it is attempting to mount the root partition and switch to it.

> Thanks for the reply.  I just went through the boot steps by hand and
> I'm fairly sure initrd has been loaded.  Here is what one of my grub
> menu options looks like:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
> initrd /initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
>
> There is something funny there though.  root is actually on sda1.  Also
> the savedefault command doesn't work when running those commands
> manually.  When I step through each command manually, changing to sda1
> obviously, everything looks fine to me (with the exception of
> savedefault responding with a command not found error).
>
> When I edit the command to change sda2 to sda1, upon reboot it has been
> changed back to sda2.  All attempts to boot the machine result in the

	When you boot and receive the GRUB boot menu, use the cursor key to go down
or up to highlight the boot option you've quoted above. (This also will stop
the clock.) Then press 'e' to edit the boot entry. Once there, cursor down to
the kernel line and again press 'e' to edit the line, changing
'root=/dev/sda2' to 'root=/dev/sda1'. Hit 'esc' to exit the line and then
press 'b' to boot. If your root file system is, in fact, located on /dev/sda1
then you should be able to successfully boot.

	Once you've booted successfully, look for the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, which
will contain the above boot stanza. Edit that and you should have changed it
permanently.

	If all else fails, you might have to boot off of a Knoppix cd & rerun
grub-install.

> Kernel panic.
>
> Gary

HTH's

cmr
--
Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----