Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

Miroslav Maiksnar <ml@mixi.cz> writes:

> Dne st 6. Ä?ervence 2005 22:16 Hugo Mills napsal(a):
>> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 08:20:38PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> > It is impossible to install two packages that contain the same
>> > filename. Libraries use /usr/lib/arch-os/ to make libs differ between
>> > archs.
>>
>>    That's not _entirely_ true. In Tollef's multiarch proposal, files
>> in /usr/share/doc/<package> can indeed overlap between packages with
>> precisely the same name differing only in architecture. My preliminary
>> patches to dpkg supported that behaviour.
>
> Wouldn't be better have /usr/share/doc/<package>/<arch-os>/ directories? No
> files will be overlapping and all libs will have it's own copyright and
> README files (which may differ between different arch-os combinations).
>
> Mixi

If there is any larger overlap in /usr/share/doc/<package>/ then the
package should be split into architecture dependend and independend
packages. Also /usr/share is shareable between architecture by policy
and fhs so file differences between architectures would be RC bugs
imho.

The alowed overlap is for the /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright and
changelog files, which must be present on both archs. But splitting a
package into architecture dependend and independend packages just for
those 2 files (or 3 with a README) would be a bit insane so a
exception has been made and overlaps there are allowed. This is a
compromise so as not to needlessly create new packages.

MfG
        Goswin