Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal@gmx.de> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 06:34:26PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>>We are not saying you shouldn't make binaries coinstallable for
>>multiple archs, we are only saying we won't make this a policy. It is
>>left to each package maintainer to decide if he wants to make the
>>multiarch change for his binary too or not and nearly every one will
>>not.
>
> All right, this is a solution I can live with. Until now I thought,
> that it would be impossible, even with multiarch, to install two
> programs together.

It is impossible to install two packages that contain the same
filename. Libraries use /usr/lib/arch-os/ to make libs differ between
archs.

Doing the same for binaries is possible but also has
drawbacks. Specifying "Multiarch: yes" for a binary means that
packages depending on it will force the installation of the binary in
the same ABI as the depending package. This is usualy not what one
wants but it only wastes some disk space.

Also programs don't depend on something like galeon (i hope).

MfG
        Goswin