Re: Official ATI Driver : problem build fglrx module

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:17:53AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Well I am sure my boss would love if I could make the ati driver work on
> his Dell X610 which has some quite new ATI chip.  I even told him to
> avoid the ones with an ATI chip in it.

Laptops are a different thing. ATI tries to push driver support to the
laptop makers (which has _some_ justification since ATI has no control
over how its chip is being integrated, and laptop makers are known to do
really weird things sometimes). Unfortunately laptop makers do not want
to publish Linux drivers themselves.

You can say the situation is improving since some years ago the ATI
driver supported only the original "Built by ATI" cards and not the
3rd-party "Powered by ATI" ones (you had to hack the driver to make it
work with a 3rd-party card).

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences