Re: Official ATI Driver : problem build fglrx module

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 05:01:37PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Also the last I read a about a week or two ago was that the ati driver
> does not work with 2.6.12 at this time, so unless you have some other
> patches to apply you aren't likely to get it to work.

It works for me using Flavio Stanchina's packaging. For 2.6.12 you have
to edit the kernel module source and replace the dev->slot_name
references with pci_name(dev) and you also have to fix the
inter_module_get() thing (I just commented it out as it is not needed on
my setup).

> Of course since you already have the ATI its too late to recomend
> staying away from ati and their lousy drivers in general.

NVidia and Vmware also have regular problems with new kernels when the
internal interfaces change.

Actually I heard that the _design_ of the ATI driver is much better than
NVidia because they try to use some of the existing kernel
infrastructure instead of reinventing it completely. Of course the
actual code may be worse.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences