Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

* Lennart Sorensen (lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca) wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:54:06PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > apt-get install A::amd64;
> > Should automatically uninstall the i386 version of A and install the
> > amd64 version.
>
> If that's how it is going to behave, I will stick with a chroot for
> 32bit.  Much more useful then.  I do have reason to want both the 32 and
> 64bit versions of a program.  I think many people do, especially
> developers but also users.

Developers are unlikely to use the packaging system in the few cases
you've described.  You havn't given any reason why a user would have any
use for it.  There are quite a few reasons why trying to do such would
be very, very ugly and would undoubtably cause problems for both users
and developers.

	Stephen