Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

Mplayer can play all the common files in 64bit directly except the mov
files of current movie trailers. Anything else mplayer needs w32codecs
for are rather uncommon in my experience.

I find 64-bit unplayable real, wmv and mov files to be by far the most common media I run across, but of course, it's not a scientific survey...

But if you do need w32codecs then just stick with a 32bit
mplayer. With multiarch that will be just "apt-get install mplayer-686
w32codecs". Till then it means a chroot or some manual fiddling.

Quite right. Let alone for things like OO, which are a) essential, and b) involve complexities like "how do I print from chroot" (doh). All doable with chroot, but so inferior as to give multiarch real impetus, I would think.

Also, at some point, windows will release w64codecs and someone will
add support for it to mplayer.

Getting sick of waiting for Microsoft and their captive developers to do things is maybe the biggest reason we are all here, yes?