Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 15:44, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> All current linux distributions are pure64. They only differ slightly
> in the amount of 32bit libs preinstalled (what debian has as
> ia32-libs). Multiarch is something that goes way beyond what other
> amd64 distributions have.
>
> Multiarch standardizes and greatly simplifies installing random 32bit
> packages on amd64 by making the packaging system aware of the fact. It
> does not change the ability to run 32bit apps on amd64 at all, you

Most current "64 bit" Linux distributions are not pure 64-bit but contain both
32 and 64 bit libraries.  In other words, they are multi-arch.

This does not change the fact that it is a bodge.

I am running a pure 64 bit Debian system.  The kernel, libraries and userland
are all compiled as 64-bit software, and that's the way it should be.  Legacy
32-bit software is *always* going to hold you back.  Whatever you want to get
working, just re-compile it in 64-bit mode -- it's as simple as make
clean, ./configure, make, su, make install.

Binary compatibility is irrelevant at best  {every Linux machine already has a
compiler installed}  and harmful at worst  {Windows has wide-scale binary
compatibility -- and rampant malware}.  All that matters is _source_
compatibility:  that the same source code will compile cleanly on a range of
different architectures.  Thanks to the excellent work done by the GNU
project in developing their compiler suite and automated configuration /
building tools, source compatibility is already a reality.  And processors
are fast enough now that there is no time saved in using precompiled
binaries.

--
AJS