Re: Cross-distro binary compatibilty (was multiarch/bi-arch..)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

1) We are not that compatible to begin with

In what way? We follow LSB and such.

Different "baseline" libraries, different _available_, _packaged_ libraries, different compiler versions, different directory structures (for instance, important parts of etc), different apps performing essential system functions (i.e. inetd/xinetd), and, just to make it really fun, different package formats...

If you like, I can refer threads I've seen by vendors distributing binaries (the video game guys maybe get the most sympathy here?) where greivances are listed. Maybe you don't care (no problem), but I don't think we should claim it (cross-distro binary compatibility) works.