Re: Debian/AMD64/Sid on MSI S270 notebook

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 03:15:12PM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
> The only difference between ATI and nVidia chipsets is that you can get
> nVidia chipsets to work properly. But without native (in-kernel) Linux
> support, I would not recommend nVidia chipsets for things like remote
> servers because you never know what nVidia's support for the chipset
> will be a year or two from now and you might end up being stuck with
> using an old kernel because of that.

I use nothing that isn't available as source in current kernel sources,
so my board will continue to work just like it does now.  The only thing
I risk loosing is the binary video driver, and in that case the
opensource 2D driver in XFree86 and x.org will still work.  The ATI
chipset just doesn't work with any drivers yet as far as I can tell.
The nvidia does work with no help from nvidia needed.

> It is ASUS A7N8X-X so it looks very similar to what you have. I was
> looking on Google for the answer to the IDE IRQ 7 problems and the only
> thing I found out was to cold boot such that the IDE is on IRQ 14. The
> errors I got about "unhandled IRQ 7 because nobody cared" are supposedly
> not serious, but....

Well normally irq7 is the parallel port.  What mode is the port set to
in the bios?

> Anyway, if I have a choice between K8 VIA and K8 nVidia chipsets, I
> choose VIA. If my only choice is nVidia and ATI, well, at least nVidia
> you can get working in Linux with the drivers from nvidia.com :)

Well I have yet to need nvidia drivers to make a system run.  I have
only needed them to make video work on all the nvidia boards I have used
so far.  So I hightly recomend nvidia chipsets to people, at least the
ones I have used.  I also recomend VIA.