Re: Debian/AMD64/Sid on MSI S270 notebook

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>So far from what I have read the support for ATI chipsets isn't doing
>that well.  That counts both the motherboard chipsets and the video
>chips (unless you are lucky enough to have one of the video chips the
>ati binary driver actually works with).
>
>I didn't know the Turion came in 64bit, I thought they were limited to
>32bit mode.  I guess they changed that.

There is the 64-bit now. The only thing that sucks is most of the AMD
notebooks come with the crappy ATI chipsets.

>I still believe the general recomendation stands: Don't buy ATI to run
>Linux at this time.

I've been bitten by both ATI *and* nVidia. My recommendations would be,

1. Stay away from ATI video cards - no Linux or crap Linux support.
nVidia has very good Linux support (and binaries in Debian help too :)
2. Stay away from nVidia *and* ATI mobo chipsets. I got an nForce2
chipset thinking it was supported quite well since it is quite old now.
Well, think again. Sometimes the IDE went on IRQ 7 and crapped out.
Sometimes it goes on IRQ 14 and works good. There are weird IRQ 7
interrupts, with nothing on it.

irq  0: 345254399 timer                 irq 12:         1

irq  1:         2                       irq 14:   2178080 ide0

irq  3:         1                       irq177:  39570708 ohci_hcd, eth2

irq  5:       424 parport0 [3]          irq185:    138546 ohci_hcd, NVidia nFo

irq  7:   1268244                       irq193:         2 ehci_hcd

irq  9:         0 acpi                  irq201:   1390067 eth0

irq 10:         1                       irq209:     81958 eth1

irq 11:         1

So, for 3D and other video stuff, I would highly recommend nVidia. For
AMD mobo chipsets I would recommend VIA since I *never* had any
compatability problems with all the way from KV133 and KT133A until
today's K8 chipsets. Good, proven and reliable. 5% performace "increase"
of what ATI or nVidia claim is 0% performance if the hardware is not
supported.

For Intel chips, Intel chipsets are very well supported in Linux.

- Adam

PS. SiS and other "generics" are generally ok, but check the support in
the kernel first.