Re: Debian/AMD64/Sid on MSI S270 notebook

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 02:12:25PM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
>

>>There is the 64-bit now. The only thing that sucks is most of the AMD
>>notebooks come with the crappy ATI chipsets.
>>

>My wife has a Compaq laptop with an nforce 250 chipset and an athlon 64
>mobile.  Works very well, even with linux.  Even has nvidia video chip.

The only difference between ATI and nVidia chipsets is that you can get
nVidia chipsets to work properly. But without native (in-kernel) Linux
support, I would not recommend nVidia chipsets for things like remote
servers because you never know what nVidia's support for the chipset
will be a year or two from now and you might end up being stuck with
using an old kernel because of that.

>Well I have used an nforce2 board for over a year and it has been one of
>the most stable linux platforms I have ever used.  The board I use is
>the A7N8X-E-DX.  Everything just works on it (escept the audio DSP, and
>I don't care at all.  Sounds works fine ignoring the DSP feature.)
>Perhaps other boards with the nforce2 are not as well designed or have
>worse bioses.

It is ASUS A7N8X-X so it looks very similar to what you have. I was
looking on Google for the answer to the IDE IRQ 7 problems and the only
thing I found out was to cold boot such that the IDE is on IRQ 14. The
errors I got about "unhandled IRQ 7 because nobody cared" are supposedly
not serious, but....

Anyway, if I have a choice between K8 VIA and K8 nVidia chipsets, I
choose VIA. If my only choice is nVidia and ATI, well, at least nVidia
you can get working in Linux with the drivers from nvidia.com :)

- Adam