Re: Debian/AMD64/Sid on MSI S270 notebook

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:28:46PM +0200, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> I just bought an MSI S270 notebook (with a Turion MT 34, 1800MHz, 1Mb
> cache, 25W) to run Debian (only) on it. I even bought it without
> Windows!
>
> about this notebook
>
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/notebook/nb/pro_nb_selling.php?UID=608
>
> I bought it with 1Gb RAM, an extra 8cell battery, the Wifi internal
> card, (no Windows!), for 1588 euros.
>
> (FWIW, I am fairly used to Debian, I did run Sid on x86 and on a
> PowerBook Apple 12" whose disk crashed)
>
> This notebook has a ATi RS480M + ATi SB400 chipset, meaning that
> graphic memory is shared with RAM (actually, the BIOS setup tells how
> much 32,64,128Mb of RAM is reserved for video).
>
> For curious, the lspci output is
> ################
> 0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5950
> 	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 0131
> 	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0

So far from what I have read the support for ATI chipsets isn't doing
that well.  That counts both the motherboard chipsets and the video
chips (unless you are lucky enough to have one of the video chips the
ati binary driver actually works with).

I didn't know the Turion came in 64bit, I thought they were limited to
32bit mode.  I guess they changed that.

I still believe the general recomendation stands: Don't buy ATI to run
Linux at this time.