Re: problem compiling sound driver

Thanks for the help.  It worked perfectly and after reboot the sound was finally working (I switched from aRts to ALSA).

Thanks,
Ross

On 6/30/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 02:15:26AM +0000, Ross Urban wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was trying to compile an alsa driver for my realtek soundcard (alc650) and
> during the ./configure step i'm getting the following error message. When I
> tunnel down to the directory it is saying does not exist I get to
> /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp. Source exists in the directory but
> source itself is not a directory, so I cannot go any further. I've checked
> my packages and it appears that the kernel sources are installed. Are they
> in a different place? Or is there another package that I could possibly be
> missing. Here's the error output I get when i run ./configure.
>
> checking for kernel version... The file
> /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp/source/include/linux/version.h does not
> exist.
> Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
> or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
> sources (default is /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp/source).

Your source dir has to be fully configured and built (or a debian
kernel-headers package which keeps the relevant parts).

An unconfigured/cleaned source is no good for building against.

apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp I guess in this
case, and /usr/src/kernel- headers-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp should contain
the right files to compile against.

Is the alsa in 2.6.8 too old to work with your card?