problem compiling sound driver

Hello all,
  I was trying to compile an alsa driver for my realtek soundcard (alc650) and during the ./configure step i'm getting the following error message.  When I tunnel down to the directory it is saying does not exist I get to /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp.  Source exists in the directory but source itself is not a directory, so I cannot go any further.  I've checked my packages and it appears that the kernel sources are installed.  Are they in a different place?  Or is there another package that I could possibly be missing.  Here's the error output I get when i run ./configure.

checking for kernel version... The file /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp/source/include/linux/version.h does not exist.
Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp/source).

Thanks,
Ross