Re: Perfomance problems with NVidia

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:43:48AM +0200, Alexander Jede wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have installed sid on my machine with the closed-source nvidia-driver
> for XFree.
> But running the benchmark glxgears I get only about 600 fps.
> It seems to be not enougth for a NVidia Geforce FX5200.

My FX5200 on an Athlon XP 2800+ machine gets 610fps on default glxgears.
An FX5200 is no speedy card at all.

The FX5200 has only 4 pipelines (not 8 like a 5800), uses DDR (not
DDR-II) type memory (so less bandwidth there).  It has no Z-compression.
It only runs 250MHz core and 400MHz memory, so it isn't going to get
that much done as a 5800 with twice the pipelines, 800MHz memory (so
twice the memory speed, and I think maybe even twice the bus width to
memory) and DDR is slower at the same speed than DDR-II.

The FX5200 was meant to replace the MX440, which was hardly a fast card,
and neither is the FX5200.  It is cheap though and works pretty good as
long as you don't expect it to be a fast 3D card.  It supposedly
compares well to a Radeon 9000.  That too isn't considered a fast card
anymore.  This is a 3 generations old chip, in the bottom end
configuration of that generation. :)