Re: Downgrading i386 from amd64

On 6/28/05, Marcin Dębicki <neo777n@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> Jeffrey Hahn kiedys napisal:
>
> > your kernel based on `uname -m`. It will take a lot of trickery to
> > convince it to download and install i386 packages onto a system
> > running the amd64 kernel, and you'll need to somehow get an i386
> > kernel running in order to have those packages work.
>
> Really?
>
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-image-2.6.11-amd64/
>
> This is from Debian i386 port. check your kernel config and see if it allows
> to run 32 bit binaries and 32 bit system.
>
> In this case (sorry I didn't read everything) I think that the better idea
> would be to run 32 bit live distro and after chroot to 32 bit chroot system
> on hdd you should be able to install HLDS. The only question is that if you
> will be able to run server itself under chroot on main system

I suppose I should have specified that I was referring to important
packages, such as grub, libc6, or init, that would have very important
tasks in making an i386 kernel able to boot and have things to run.
Obviously you could install any arbitrary i386 thing and run it with
chroot from amd64, but my point is that you could not upgrade
(downgrade?) the entire distribution from 64bit to 32bit and expect to
reboot and see things working from a newly-instaled i386 kernel.

That being said, I'll agree that a 32bit live cd would work well, or
with less complication than chroot. But we've already been told that
HLDS can install correctly via chroot, so the issue is still whether
you could chroot to run it. I'd assume that, since the question for
switching to i386 was posed, it cannot.