Re: Downgrading i386 from amd64

On 6/28/05, Leoman HEDE <leventyalcin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a small problem.
> I was install sarge from this image
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/sarge-amd64/iso-cd/  and
> 2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp kernel on DELL PE2850 Xeon 64bit.
> I try installing HLDS (Half Life Game Server) but i get following errors
>
> olympos:/game/leoman# ./hldsupdatetool.bin
> -bash: ./hldsupdatetool.bin: No such file or directory
>
> and i install debootstrap and i386 sarge, i use chroot,  mount /game
> partition and try install HLDS and i get no error. Installing process
> normally.
>
> I will downgrading sarge x86 from debian amd64
>
> I try changing sources.list
>
> deb http://ftp.tr.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.tr.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib
>
> I try #apt-get update and I get following errors
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.tr.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
>  404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.tr.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
>  404 Not Found
> Reading Package Lists... Done
>
> apt added "binary-amd64" automatically.
>
> I couldn't find this phrase in apt config files
>
> how should i configure the ape for this?
> if i'll apply this can full system work regularly?
>
> --
>

> Leoman HEDE
>

>From what I've seen, apt will get whatever package is appropriate for
your kernel based on `uname -m`. It will take a lot of trickery to
convince it to download and install i386 packages onto a system
running the amd64 kernel, and you'll need to somehow get an i386
kernel running in order to have those packages work. You're in a bit
of a bind, since no matter which way you go first you will need both
installed at the same time in order for either to work. If you really
want to switch to i386 (which I don't see the need if it's working
fine via a 32bit chroot) you're probably going to have to reinstall
from scratch or at least install onto a secondary system partition.