Re: Install troubles - Tyan K8WE

Gary Hodges wrote:

Koen Tavernier wrote:

What sata controller are you attaching the plextor to? nvidia or sil? I think it should work if you plug it into the sil sata controller.

I'm looking at the block diagram for the board and the four SATA ports are all going to the Nvidia nForce Professional 2200 chip. I can't find any mention of sil so I think all the ports are nvidia. I just tried plugging the drive into another port (in a different pair) and I get the same result.

I'm sorry. I got confused with another board there! No sil in the tyan board. I only used scsi and an IDE CD ROM, so couldn't tell you about the sata support for the nvidia controller.

I'm glad to hear that it works (I'm assuming the forcedeth driver is included with sarge) as it means I'm probably doing something wrong. It don't think I'm doing anything wrong though...

The machine isn't here and I didn't write down all the steps I performed. I don't think I had to 'modprobe forcedeth'. See point 3.

3. I can't partition my drives. I keep getting an error that says something like "no partionable drives installed." I'm stuck on this one. I've tried different boot parameters, but haven't had any success.

I installed with a Dell Perc4/e card which is a LSI 320 e clone. You will need a 2.6.10+ kernel with the megaraid_mbox module for that to work.

Does this mean I'm SOL using this card to install sarge?

I downloaded an installer CD with a 2.6.10 kernel on it (they are about, search this list, people who try to install debian on the newest DELL servers need this image too). The only problem I had with it was that grub didn't install correctly. I cured that by getting a bootable grub iso and then installing it that way. Next time I will write down step by step what I went through so I can answer a bit more precisely rather than trying to recite from memory.

Depending on how much memory you want to use, it is a good idea to go into the 'hammer configuration' in the bios and set the memory hole to 'software' so linux can see all the RAM. Before doing that I only saw 3.2GB out of the 4GB installed.

Regards,

Koen.