Re: Install troubles - Tyan K8WE

Gary Hodges wrote:

Having no luck installing sarge on our new machine.

Tyan K8WE w/2x Opteron 244s
LSI21320RB SCSI Controller
Plextor PX-716SA (SATA)

debian-31r0a-amd64-netinst.iso

The three items I'm having trouble with:

1. Installing from the Plextor drive. I'm reading that the newest kernel will work, so my work around plan is to use an IDE drive and then upgrade the kernel. I think this will work if I can get past the next two.

What sata controller are you attaching the plextor to? nvidia or sil? I think it should work if you plug it into the sil sata controller.

2. The integrated network processors don't seem to be supported. From the MB manual: Two IEEE Nvidia MAC 1000/100/10 Ethernet (First from PRO 2200, Second from PRO 2050). My proposed work around plan is to install an older network card for the installation and then upgrade drivers.

These work with the forcedeth module. Not totally stable though. I do get lockups on the second network port which can only be cured by removing the power lead and starting back up after 30 seconds. Rebooting isn't enough.

3. I can't partition my drives. I keep getting an error that says something like "no partionable drives installed." I'm stuck on this one. I've tried different boot parameters, but haven't had any success.

I installed with a Dell Perc4/e card which is a LSI 320 e clone. You will need a 2.6.10+ kernel with the megaraid_mbox module for that to work.

Regards,

Koen.