Re: Install troubles - Tyan K8WE

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:31:39PM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Having no luck installing sarge on our new machine.
>
> Tyan K8WE w/2x Opteron 244s
> LSI21320RB SCSI Controller
> Plextor PX-716SA (SATA)

So far from what I have read, ATAPI support on SATA is still not
completed, although it is certainly under a lot of development.  I
considered getting the PX-716SA but decided to get the PX-716A instead,
since I knew it would work and it had a mail in rebate making it quite
a bit cheaper than the SATA version.  I am very happy I didn't get the
SATA version so far given how much trouble getting SATA ATAPI to work
appreas to be.

> debian-31r0a-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> The three items I'm having trouble with:
>
> 1.  Installing from the Plextor drive.  I'm reading that the newest
> kernel will work, so my work around plan is to use an IDE drive and then
> upgrade the kernel.  I think this will work if I can get past the next two.

I didn't think even 2.6.11 supported full ATAPI over SATA but maybe I am
wrong.  I haven't tried it yet.

> 2.  The integrated network processors don't seem to be supported.  From
> the MB manual:  Two IEEE Nvidia MAC 1000/100/10 Ethernet (First from PRO
> 2200, Second from PRO 2050).  My proposed work around plan is to install
> an older network card for the installation and then upgrade drivers.

I thought the forcedeth driver supported all the nforce network chips,
but I have only tried it myself on 100Mbit ports on nforce 2 and 3.

> 3.  I can't partition my drives.  I keep getting an error that says
> something like "no partionable drives installed."  I'm stuck on this
> one.  I've tried different boot parameters, but haven't had any success.

What kind of HD and connected to which controller?

> I have booted the system with Knoppix and I can configure the network
> and I can see the hard drives.  Since the work day is about over, I
> thought I would try posting here for suggestions before trying again
> tomorrow.

Knoppix may have a newer kernel than sarge with support for more
devices.  Not unusual really.  A number of machines would have worked
with sarge if it had used 2.6.10 rather than 2.6.8 which was being
considered, but 2.6.10 had other bugs that 2.6.8 didn't have that would
make it break on another set of machines, so 2.6.8 was kept as the
kernel for sarge.