Re: Advice sought on moving to AMD64

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 03:49:33PM -0400, Nathan Dragun wrote:
> Woops, sorry about that bit of mis-information.
>
> What kind of performance gains have they been showing over the IDE/SCSI
> interface SATA drives, any clue?

Well most drives have never hit the speed limits of the interface they
use, so in terms of raw throughput you generally won't see a difference.
Many of the native SATA drives have NCQ similar to what scsi has had for
a long time, which should help performance on multiuser systems and
other systems with many simultanious random accesses.  I suppose the
limit of an older scsi bus could have been hit if multiple drives were
accessed at once, although on many systems the system bus might be a
limit before that happens.