Re: Advice sought on moving to AMD64

Hi Everyone

On 20/06/05, Lennart Sorensen (lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca) wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 03:49:33PM -0400, Nathan Dragun wrote:
> > Woops, sorry about that bit of mis-information.
> >
> > What kind of performance gains have they been showing over the IDE/SCSI
> > interface SATA drives, any clue?
>
> Well most drives have never hit the speed limits of the interface they
> use, so in terms of raw throughput you generally won't see a difference.

We intend to use 2 SCSI disks in RAID1 for the system and the others in
RAID10 for the DB.

There is (obviously) a lot of debate about SATA vs SCSI on the
Postgresql list. The general opinion is that 7200 rpm SATA disks just
aren't fast/smart enough to cut it for serious database use, 10K Raptors
being a possible exception. Since SCSI drives are designed "to do
physical I/O scheduling, because the CPU can issue multiple commands
before the drive has to report completion of the first one.  IDE isn't
designed to do that..." [Tom Lane], we're going for that.

Cheers
Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange