Re: Installer dies during local network installation

Andreas Klein <andreas.m.klein@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I try to install amd64-sid on my brand new Tyan K8E (S2865). Nforce4 chipset
> wih 2Gb LAN-Adaptors, one Broadcom BMC5721 GbE, one Marvell 88E1111-CAA.
>
> I went on with the "expert" option. The installation process proceed until the
> network is alredy configured and the installer ask for confirmation for eth0
> configuration. After confirming, installer dies. No response from system.
>
> I tried out:
> http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-installer/2005-06-13/netboot/mini.iso
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/amd64/20050605/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> Next step was to add a standard 3com NIC (3c95x) and only use these module. No
> chance. Same behavior!
>
> Last step was to try the i386-sarge installer
> (http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/).
> Everything fine! Working great. BUT it's an AMD64 and I want to have that!
>
> Any help?
>
> Regards,
> Andreas Klein

Please install the kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic on your i386 sarge
system and reboot into that. I expect the same behaviour (freezing) to
happen then, which would make it a kernel problem.

If on the other hand the kernel and networking works then a Installer
bug is more likely.

MfG
        Goswin