Re: poor gcc-4.0 performance

On 6/16/05, Andrei Mikhailovsky <andrei@arhont.com> wrote:

> As you can see, the performance of gcc-4.0 is quite poor as compared
> with gcc-3.4, especially when john benchmarks Traditional DES
> bruteforcing, or I am missing something out?

Maybe someone knows the precise reason, where I can only report
hear-say. I had read that the developers only claim that gcc 4 has a
lot of potential for better performance, but it may not have been
realised yet. And I have seen benchmarks that report a drop in
performance on AMD64 (whereas there seems to be a slight increase for
x86).

> Is there a reason for such performance differences?

I have to admin that the difference you experience is rather big, and
I cannot explain the size. Maybe gcc 4.1 will be better.

Thomas