Re: fam problems

Wish I had anything constructive to add other than, "me too."

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Graham Smith wrote:

I, as I am sure many of your do, suffer from the "fam problem". Basically it goes like this: I will be working away quite happily, I go to open a file and fam hits 100% cpu load and never stops. This has happened with all my Debian boxes (testing and unstable on i386 and pure64).

On my old machine I wasn't that worried about it. It was a pain to have to restart fam (it has to be done as the root user) but the processor was slow enough that 100% load didn't generate that much heat. With my new box though we are talking crispy processor after it's be banging away at 100% load for a couple of hours because I didn't notice fam was playing up.

What's the best way to fix this? I tried writing a cron job that would check to see if fam was using more than 50% of the processor but for some reason top always reports 0% processor usage when run via a cron job. I don't mind disabling fam even but what's the best way to go about this? I would like to remove it but Gnome depends on it.

As you will see if you have a look at the bug reports this is a well known problem and it doesn't look like it's ever going to be fixed.

Thanks, Graham