Installing Oracle?

Did anyone succeed in installing the "free" Oracle version? I tried
it, but it first said that the distribution is not supported (how does
it test for the distribution?), and then it seemed to fail with
"unknown locale", which is probably related to some issues with
ia32-libs. Certainly the install program is ia32, which seems odd for
an amd64 package...

Any ideas, apart from digging around in the ia32-libs? I may try the
ia32 version in chroot, but for a database that would be kind of
disappointing.

Thomas