Re: How to install SMP kernel?

On Thursday 19 May 2005 07:40 am, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> I have a dual Opteron machine onto which I've installed Debian using
> sid-amd64-netinst.iso.
>
> Now, I think this install only caters for a single cpu right?
> Is there an altenate ISO that would install an SMP ready kernel, or
> should I recompile the kernel to enable SMP?
>
> If a recompile is the best way, I'm new to Debian (more used to Redhat,
> Mandrake).  Is compiling a kernel under Debian much the same thing, or
> are there docs for Debian kernel compiles?

	Download & install the kernel-source package of your choice from one of the
AMD64 mirrors. A tar.bz2 archive will be placed in /usr/src/. Untar this
archive. Then, cd into the resulting source directory. There, you will find a
README.Debian file which will contain a very good mini-howto on the tools &
techniques of compiling a Debian kernel-image.

cmr

--
Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----