How to install SMP kernel?

I have a dual Opteron machine onto which I've installed Debian using
sid-amd64-netinst.iso.

Now, I think this install only caters for a single cpu right?
Is there an altenate ISO that would install an SMP ready kernel, or
should I recompile the kernel to enable SMP?

If a recompile is the best way, I'm new to Debian (more used to Redhat,
Mandrake).  Is compiling a kernel under Debian much the same thing, or
are there docs for Debian kernel compiles?

--
Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk>