Re: How to install SMP kernel?

Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk> writes:

> I have a dual Opteron machine onto which I've installed Debian using
> sid-amd64-netinst.iso.
>
> Now, I think this install only caters for a single cpu right?
> Is there an altenate ISO that would install an SMP ready kernel, or
> should I recompile the kernel to enable SMP?
>
> If a recompile is the best way, I'm new to Debian (more used to Redhat,
> Mandrake).  Is compiling a kernel under Debian much the same thing, or
> are there docs for Debian kernel compiles?

The installer automatically detects your system and installs a fitting
kernel. Check /proc/cpuinfo for multiple CPUs. If it shows more than
one you already have an smp kernel otherwise you can install one with
apt-get.

Also if you run D-I in expert mode or lower the debconf priority from
the main menu prior to installing the kernel you get a asked to pick a
kernel.

MfG
        Goswin