Re: amd64 porters IRC meeting: preparations for sarge

On 4/25/05, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

[openoffice and libraries]

> It's probably easier to write an installer that fetches and installes
> the i386 debs on the fly.

Maybe it is just because of my research background, but I am looking
for a solution that can be generalised. So it should work for other
applications, too, including third party binaries if possible (think
alien).

And I have to admit that an automated installer has its benefits
there. You could just give it an executable, and it checks and updates
the chroot, sets the library pathes etc... and it could interact with
dpkg in both systems, which means that it could bridge the "dependency
divide".

So does it generalise to true multiarch support? Yes, I think it
could. It wouldn't matter which architecture you have, and which you
want to run, the problem is always (mostly) the same.

The only question is how it relates to dpkg/apt-get. Is it like a
generalisation of dpkg, with multiarch support? No, dpkg would still
be used. Maybe like apt-get with multiarch support? Yes, that seems
closer. Or is it more like alien, a stop gap that usually works? In
the beginning, most likely yes.

And the beauty is that the existing infrastructure does not have to be
changed at all.

Thomas