Re: amd64 porters IRC meeting: preparations for sarge

Thomas Steffen <steffen.list.account@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4/23/05, Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@ftbfs.de> wrote:
>> Here we go:
>>
>> Logfile: http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/irc-log.txt
>
> Thank you very much for the results and the log. The future does
> indeed look promissing.
>
> But I do have a question about openoffice/chroot. As far as I could
> figure it out, the prepared solution was to install the openoffice
> package with a 32bit binary under /, and tell ld.so to use libraries
> from a 32bit chroot to resolve openoffice. At least that works nicely
> for me.

Actualy ia32-libs and friends should have all OOo needs.

> But now I see hints to use dchroot. And while to me as a developer
> that seems fine, I think it is not a feasible solution for the "end
> user". The chroot environment has so many subtle difference compared
> to the normal environment, that it could be very confusing. At the end
> of the day, the installation should appear as one system, and not as a
> split personality :-)
>
> So is there any option planned to run openoffice (and other 32bit
> apps) directly? It might still be located in /emul/i386, but I would
> like to call it directly, without the dchroot wrapper. I think
> openoffice can be installed into any directory, so it should be
> possible.
>
> Thomas

One possibility is to add an ia32-openoffie.org package that contains
the 32bit OOo binaries but is for ia64/amd64. But the package would be
huge. OOo source is already 165Mb. Add all the binary debs to that and
you get the size of ia32-openoffie.org source.

It's probably easier to write an installer that fetches and installes
the i386 debs on the fly.

MfG
        Goswin