Re: Installing Amd64 over ia32

En/La Jaime Ochoa Malagón ha escrit, a 22/04/05 12:57:
| I'll try to explain it in the way I understand...
|
| you have /dev/hda1 with i386 (sarge)
|
| at some point between 4 and 6 you need to mount your new partition
| /dev/hda2 on /pure64
Yes, of course you're right. See the revised "howto" below.

| the kernel should appear in grub
Great! That make life simple

| the point 6 is to create a new / with all the files and directories on
| /pure64 this new tree have binaries compiled for 64 bits
You mean this new "/" will start from /pure64, yes?

| now you have 2 installations of debian the old sarge and another one
| in /dev/hda2 this last of 64 bits
That's very clear, yes.

| The usual way is to become /dev/hda2 as your new main system...
Yes, this is what I want. I want /dev/hda2 = /pure64 to be the main system.

| *WARNING the following lines are due my understand of yours mails if
| at any point I say a stupid thing stop the reading at all is a
| misunderstand*

Sorry I wasn't clear. The chroot stuff is confusing for me but I want
/pure64 to be the main system and to create a chroot for running
programs that won't run with the amd64's 32bit libraries. Is that clear?
| but you pretend do the opposite, [If I undestood well and the software
| allows it] run like the main system the old sarge and run programs
| from /pure64...
No I don't want to do this.

| If thats is the case you already have openoffice up and running
| because your main system is in fact the old a well know sarge. The
| kernel allows you to run all your 32bits programs.
|
| In that point you already have the right kernel to run programs from
| /pure64 and just need to load the right libs, and "propagate" the
| needed files and directories to /pure64 (as example /dev/mouse is know
| by the kernel and "published" in /dev, in the directoy
| /pure64/dev/mouse you need to have the the SAME reference to
| /dev/mouse to use it in the /pure64 apps).
|
| Regards (With the hope to help)

Hola Jaime,
Thanks a lot for your help. I hope this is clearer. You can check the
revised "howto" below and see if it now make sense to you.
Salut,
Jonathan
~ 1.Downloaded latest Knoppix iso
~ 2.Boot with Knoppix and use qtparted to create a new partition
(a)for concreteness call it hda2
~ 3.Create 60GB partition
~ 4.Bootup sarge i386
~ 5.mkdir /pure64
~ 6.Mount new partition: mount /dev/hda2 /pure64
~ 7.run aptitude install kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8
(a)this gets me the files: kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8
kernel-image-2.6.8-10-amd64-k8
~ 8.Reboot and boot the new kernel, then run debootstrap --arch amd64
sarge /pure64/ http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64
(b)QUERY: Ok, I have booted the new kernel. Will I be able to run i386
binaries like debootstrap? Or do I have to install it again once the new
kernel is running? In general if I'm doing all this from the new kernel
what if any binaries can I run?
~ 9.Copy some files over (like /etc/{fstab,hostname,hosts,...}, whichever
you need.
(a)Query: Copy them to where? I still can't visualise what the new file
system will look like. Will there be a /pure64/etc/ alongside of the
/etc/ ? And so on for the entire file system? If so, then it's easy.
~ 10.Do aptitude install ia32-libs
(a)QUERY: the HOWTO claims that these will run ?most? ia32 programs. Is
that your experience?
~ 11.bind mount /home, /tmp, /proc
~ 12. Follow instructions of the AMD64 HOWTO Using an IA32 chroot to run
32bit applications