Re: Installing Amd64 over ia32

I'll try to explain it in the way I understand...

you have /dev/hda1 with i386 (sarge)

at some point between 4 and 6 you need to mount your new partition
/dev/hda2 on /pure64

the kernel should appear in grub

the point 6 is to create a new / with all the files and directories on
/pure64 this new tree have binaries compiled for 64 bits

now you have 2 installations of debian the old sarge and another one
in /dev/hda2 this last of 64 bits

The usual way is to become /dev/hda2 as your new main system...

*WARNING the following lines are due my understand of yours mails if
at any point I say a stupid thing stop the reading at all is a
misunderstand*

but you pretend do the opposite, [If I undestood well and the software
allows it] run like the main system the old sarge and run programs
from /pure64...

If thats is the case you already have openoffice up and running
because your main system is in fact the old a well know sarge. The
kernel allows you to run all your 32bits programs.

In that point you already have the right kernel to run programs from
/pure64 and just need to load the right libs, and "propagate" the
needed files and directories to /pure64 (as example /dev/mouse is know
by the kernel and "published" in /dev, in the directoy
/pure64/dev/mouse you need to have the the SAME reference to
/dev/mouse to use it in the /pure64 apps).

Regards (With the hope to help)