Re: amd64 into mainstream

Beautyfull, this perception of debian is, from my point of view, very
usual, I have been using debian for many years (>7), the oldest I
remember is potato, but I'm sure there is something else before, the
schema of release of debian is pretty well done, in fact when I had to
take my choice of distribution was between redhat, debian and
slackware primary, slackware was very buggy because all the packages
was like sid or worst, redhat used to install to many packages and use
all the oldest HD, but in that time debian has dselect and that make
the difference resolving libraries dependencies, knowing what packages
are installed, what packages needs to be upgraded, etc.

No body had seems to take debian seriously and nobody know it, that
has changed release by release the history is the same, when the
testing becomes new stable release everybody can use it but after a
year or two the old software, the new hadware and all the rumors
claims to move to testing again and again, this is the principal
problem...

The others ditributions have shorts release cycles, and the users not
complain about the new bugs, because they have been expecting this...

With debian is quite different because we are sure the product is of
better quality, but itsn't clear to the average users.

IMHO as you say it security of testing sounds like an option the
divorce is another good idea but the point is to give recent software
to the mass and preserve the quality of the mainstream, this can be
achieved with the following idea in mind "The average users is
expecting the software to fail." think about them like beta users.

I think the following schema could be work...

unstable ->
  testing ->
    desktop ->
      stable

where desktop means "every n months wait to see a few complains in
testing and make a desktop release" this release is waiting a few days
to catch up the few complains bugs and be the security/testing.

All of this with a legend like:

This version is not for production servers, the sucesive bugs in this
release have the hope to be corrected in the next release, our efforts
is to create a really trust release called stable, this desktop have
the tipical behaivor of other distribution of linux, our aggregated
value is to have a well probed high trust stable release.