Re: Installing Amd64 over ia32

Alle 10:14, venerdì 22 aprile 2005, Jonathan Kaye ha scritto:

> ~ 1.Downloaded latest Knoppix iso
> ~ 2.Boot with Knoppix and use qtparted to create a new partition
> (a)for concreteness call it hda2
> ~ 3.Create 60GB partition
> ~ 4.Bootup sarge i386
> ~ 5.run aptitude install kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8
> (a)this gets me the files: kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8
> kernel-image-2.6.8-10-amd64-k8
> ~ 6.Reboot and boot the new kernel, then run debootstrap --arch amd64
> sarge /pure64/ http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64
> (a)QUERY: Will the new kernel appear in Grub? (that's what I use) or do
> I have to edit the grub menu file before this step?
> (b)QUERY: Ok, I have booted the new kernel. Will I be able to run ia32
> binaries like debootstrap? Or do I have to install it again once the new
> kernel is running? In general if I'm doing all this from the new kernel
> what if any binaries can I run?
> ~ 7.Copy some files over (like /etc/{fstab,hostname,hosts,...}, whichever
> you need.
> (a)Query: Copy them to where? I still can't visualise what the new file
> system will look like. Will there be a /pure64/etc/ alongside of the
> /etc/ ? And so on for the entire file system? If so, then it's easy.
> ~ 8.Do aptitude install ia32-libs
> (a)QUERY: the HOWTO claims that these will run ?most? ia32 programs. Is
> that your experience?
> ~ 9.bind mount /home, /tmp, /proc

You can download a live-cd for amd64 and skip some steps, in the official
how-to is suggested debian-from-scratch iso, but it shows a old kernel
(2.6.6) that does not support very well some SATA controllers. I suggest to
boot from Kubuntu live amd64 to do the same.

But I prefer to just use the debian-installer 64bit version, works like a
charm with my amd64 apt-proxy :-)

--
Marco Amadori
:wq