Re: amd64 into mainstream

2005 m. Balandžio 19 d., Antradienis 16:41, Lennart Sorensen rašė:
> What makes kde 3.4 so much better than kde 3.2?
I would ask the other way round: is there anything what makes kde 3.2 better
than kde 3.4? The answer is nothing. Newer release is usually better in all
aspects (except bugs, but most desktop (not corporate) users can live with
them) and is usually selling point of all desktop distros. And if you want to
know why kde 3.4 is so much better than 3.2 (or 3.3) I can name a few things:
it's faster, hald/dbus support, new kpdf is awesome and so on.

> Why does your desktop
> need to be updated?  My mom thinks win98 is just fine for her needs,
> while my dad runs XP.
This is different. Win98 -> WinXP costs money and may require PC hardware
upgrade, migration can be painful whereas kde 3.4 is free, it's more
optimized than earlier versions and migration is usually flawless. I see no
reason why I shouldn't use newer STABLE kde release.

> Why do people think newer is always better?
Because it is so, but only in desktop world. The only negative thing could be
bugs, so I wouldn't recommend x.y.0 releases for everyone, but >= x.y.1 are
OK in 99% cases. However, this is not true for server world, where different
things are higher priority.

> At
> university why had a solaris box in the CS club, which ran 2.3 even when
> solaris 8 had been released, since well it worked great as an email
> server, and no one wanted to do the work of reinstalling solaris for no
> good reason.
You're talking about a server here but not a desktop. Different priorities and
needs.

> No one says you can't run debian testing on a desktop.  I do it all the
> time.  Now perhaps what would make it a better idea is if somehow the
> security team had the resources to support testing.  testing still
> breaks less often than FC releases are broken as far as I can tell from
> reading people's reports on using them.
I share your opinion here. security-testing is number one that debian is
missing now.

Cheers,
Modestas