Re: Installing Debain on My AMD64

On 4/16/05, Dr Gavin Seddon <gavinseddon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just seen this thread, in my opinion, what's the point of a
> 'powerful' 64 bit machine and running it as a 32 bit.

I think running a 64bit system is all very nice (and fast), except for
software availability. Sure, most software has a working 64bit version
(unlike on Windows...), but a few pieces essential for the typical
user are missing: most browser plugins, openoffice, wine etc.

And I don't consider a chroot feasible for someone new to Linux. True
multiarch would be nice, but the release of Etch is pretty far away
(my guess by status quo extrapolation: late 2008).

I hope that we can run a full 64bit system will all common software a
lot sooner.

Thomas