Re: Installing Debain on My AMD64

Hi,
I've just seen this thread, in my opinion, what's the point of a
'powerful' 64 bit machine and running it as a 32 bit.  I read somewhere
(forget where) installing Debian could be done by a monkey now.  Really,
get hold of the installer and choose all the default options.  The
help at
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
will explain everything.  There is installers at
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/dists/sarge/main/installer-amd64/2005-04-14/netboot/
the mini.iso will download quickly.  Create a bootable cd.  Any windows
cdr software will do this, or you can use cdrecord:
'cdrecord -scanbus' gives the cd device.  The command to generate is
'cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 image.iso'
where image.iso is your mini.iso image and dev=0,0,0 is your device.
When installed you need to install Xwindows
apt-get install xserver-xfree86
apt-get install xbase-clients
you may need to install the fonts
pt-get install xfonts-base
apt-get install xfonts-75dpi
apt-get installxfonts-100dpi

Remember, you'll have to apt-get all your software.  Hope this is useful
and not too much info.
Gavin.