Re: Installing Debain on My AMD64

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 10:39:35AM +0100, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> I've just seen this thread, in my opinion, what's the point of a
> 'powerful' 64 bit machine and running it as a 32 bit.

What is the point of running Windows on any piece of hardware by that
logic?

Besides an athlon64 is the fastest x86 platform you can buy when running
32bit (except for a few odd cases that are linear enough and very
optimized that the P4 can beat it at, but those are few and far
between).

And if you buy a 64bit machine now (which is still the cheapest x86 with
great performance you can buy today) you will still be able to use 64bit
software in 6 months or a year when it is more common.  Future proof,
and currently fastest, and cheap too, why would you buy anything else?