Re: XFS worth it?

On Friday 15 April 2005 23:20, Corey Hickey wrote:
> Kevin Poorman wrote:
> > I lost a semester of research data to a Reiser partition. wouldn't touch
> > it for the world. Ext3 had worse performance than XFS on this system.
>
> I've set up and used 3.6 on ...lets see... at least 21 computers, from
> laptops to servers, over the past few years. The only problems I've ever
> had were from hard disks failing, and that's never made more than a few
> files corrupt at a time.
>
> I don't mean to start an FS flamewar; I'm just curious as to the
> circumstances of your data loss. What version of reiserfs were you
> using? On what kernel?
>
> -Corey

I agree, I don't want a FS flamewar. I admit my "wouldn't touch it" is based
more on personal experience than any hard data or anything logical.

I don't remember the version number. It was 3 and a half years ago easily.
Just after Reiser made it into the kernel. The HD was in, still is, in
perfect working order. (IBM deskstar 20gb model.)

-pkj