Re: i386 Wine on an amd64 without chroot

Tobias Krais wrote:

Hi Max

You can install all applications and libraries in chroot enviroment and later use them from outside like ia32-libs.
In short:

1. debootstrap --arch i386 sid /emul/ia32-linux/ ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian
2. chroot /emul/ia32-linux/
3. install whatever 32-bit applications/libraries using apt-get
4. leave chroot enviroment
5. (optionally) make symlinks to desired 32-bit applications located in /emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin/
6. enjoy the installed 32-bit apps

For me it seems as if I need a seperate i386 Debian installation and this installation must be mounted in /emul/ia32-linux/. Is this correct?

It's a good Idea, but does it work without any chroot? Just installing all i386 packages to /emul/ia32-linux/?

In my experience, if you don't have a complete chroot in /emul/ia32-linux/, you can, after installing ia32-libs, just getting the necessary i386 debs for whatever other libraries you need and run "sudo dpkg -x foo.deb /emul/ia32-linux/" and it will be extracted into the appropriate directories. As a result of doing this, I can now use ia32 openoffice.org without a full chroot. The trouble with this solution is that it is essentially impossible to update or remove libraries that have been installed this way, but if you're only using a few ia32 programs anyway that's not a major problem.

-- Alexander Rapp