Re: Anyone uses the Gigabyte GA K8-NS Pro ?

Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Noone ? :-(
> I'd very much appreciate comments on this board, since this is my
> first system built while I'm using linux only and I want to get it
> 100% right.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Best regards,
> Hannes.

It might be that nobody here is using that motherboard.

When researching a motherboard to determine linux compatability, I
always find a list of compoents and use "make menuconfig" or google to
see if each component's chipset is supported (when I don't know
already). Searching google for "k8-ns pro" reveals this page:
http://www.mainboard.cz/mb/gigabyte/GA-K8NSPro.htm

I'll answer the ones I know for you; I'm sure you can dig up the rest if
someone else doesn't have firsthand experience.

> GA-K8NS Pro
> nForce3 250 chipset

I've been using an nforce3 250 board since December without a hitch.

> Processor
> Socket 754 for AMD Athlon64

This goes without saying...

> Super I/O: ITE IT8712F chip

lm_sensors supports this. Works fine for me.

> Silicon Image sil3512 controller

I'm pretty sure this is supported in recent kernels.

> GigaRAID ATA 133 RAID controller

I don't know.

> T.I. IEEE1394 controller

If this uses the PCILynx chip then it's supported.

> Marvell 8001 Gigabit Ethernet controller

The sk98lin driver supports this.

> Realtek ALC850 Audio AC'97 Codec

Recent versions of alsa should support this too.

-Corey