Re: Geforce FX 5900XT

Hi,

Basically there are four steps to follow if you want to get nVidia support working. Non-free must be included in your sources.list.

1. apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-kernel-common
2. Follow the steps in
   /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian
3. apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings
4. Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Done.

Hope that helps,
	Jens

Brian R. Whitecotton wrote:
Has onyone successfully installed the nvidia provided drivers for the GeForce FX 5900XT or similar chipset? I have a base-debian pure64 netinstall + xserver-common. et. al using the basic nv driver. I have kdm as my window manager and am running KDE3.3.x and it all works quite well! Very excited about that! Now, I want to get hardware graphics support up and running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Other info: I have installed all pertinent kernel-sources, kernel-headers, etc. The nvidia installer compiles the driver with no problem but then it complains about installing the nvidia module. There are symbols that are unrecognized. Nvidia warns that this is usually due to incorrect libs or kernel headers but I have all matching versions installed as prerequisite. So I am at a loss. I am hoping someone has figured out why nvidia's installer fails. Thank You and Advance!!!

--
http://desktux.xs4all.nl/
desktux@desktux.xs4all.nl