Re: Another sata failure report

Toshikazu Aiyama, Ph.D. <tyaiyama@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>   pivot_root: no such file or directory
>>   /sbin/init: 431: Cannot open dev/console: No such file or directory
>>   Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

> It seems the kernel identifies 2 SATA devices, but the 1st one
> fails.  I cannot say anything because you omit a few more lines.
> It seems to try to boot from 2nd device.  And naturally it fails
> because you installed / to the 1st devie, I presume.

It identifies both of the sata controllers. Only the first of these is
connected to a drive, the second sata controller is vacant. The installer
does not detect the disk on the first controller.

> Ubuntu output says the other way around, it seems.  The 1st one is
> OK, but the 2nd one seems forgotten (or you intentionaly omit it).

I did not omit anything relating to the sata controller from the Ubuntu
output.

> Anyway I will attach my dmesg.  My recommendation is check the drives
> and their connections.  If it does not work, switch them.

I only have one drive on the first sata controller, and it works well
with Ubuntu, so I reckon that nothing is gained by putting the drive on
the second controller.

> I hope I am not too rude to you.

No, you are polite.

Thanks,