Re: Re: Anyone tried the ASUS A8V-E Deluxe?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Alois Z. wrote:

I got it running last night with the drvier from the manufacturer. But only
after I installed the kernel sources only kernel headers broke the
compilation of the driver. I spoted the same for the nvidia drivers.
running gcc3.4 and kernel 2.6.9-9

You should be careful with the gcc3.4 tree: it is the slightly more experimental one, there have been some glitches in the past and probably there will be some more in the future, since it uses the gcc4.0 compiler family to compile its packages and this is known to be still somewhat buggy. On the other hand, this is useful for its added error checking capabilities and helped catch quite a few bugs already, which were fixed in pure64 as well. And although "experimental" is to be read in the usual Debian way, i.e. still very stable, pure64 is supposed to be the more conservative, and more stable tree. In short, if you want to help chasing and fixing bugs, and are prepared to accept a little bit of instability, go with gcc3.4; if on the other hand you want something (almost) rock solid and dependable, go with pure64.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)