Re: Sata and Ati Xpress 200

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 09:34, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:12:31AM +0100, karel04@gmail.com wrote:
>>snip<<
>
> Which Sil chip does it use?  Doesn't it have SATA ports connected
> to the main chipset in addition to the Sil?  Many boards will have
> 4 sata ports, 2 from the main chipset, and 2 from an Sil chip.  I
> would try the mainboard ones first.  For the Sil, if the chip is a
> 3112 is should just work even without raid enabled.  For the Sil, I
> don't know what the state of support is, since it's one of those
> awful proprietary software raid chips, although hopefully one can
> disable that crap and use it as a simple sata controller.
>

> Well the amd64 releases only use 2.6 kernels, so they don't have
> the option.  The 32bit debian has those options.  I was wondering
> if it could detect the sata.  I thought you were trying that for
> some reason.
>
> > Anyway, I have found a 10Gig traditional IDE harddisk at work,
> > this should solve my problems for the moment.
> >
> > Thanks for the help, I know what to look for now.
>
> Len Sorensen

Its nice that we have all these beta/alpha testers out their, exactly
what ATI express 200 model is involved. Knowing ATI it will be some
time before they have working Linux drivers.  I wonder when they will
be able to get multi monitor support out of the IGP version of this
chipset. Also which ATI chipset uses the ALI south bridge, I thought
it was this one, but it does not mention it on the website, or in the
reviews.

I salute your bravery, running something on the cutting edge.

Rthoreau