Re: Netinstall fails to load sk98lin module.

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
Le 31.01.2005 12:34:46, Daniel James a écrit :
The simpler solution would be to execute modprobe -f sk98lin :-)
worked for me ))

I didn't think of that - I assumed the module was missing from the
installer kernel. If not, I wonder why it didn't load automatically?
Missing entry in the hardware detection list, perhaps?

BTW it is the same with Ubuntu live CD.
I had to open a console and do a modprobe sk98lin and ifconfig of the interface... As it seems they use the same hardware detection, maybe there is something at the hardware detection level.

I believe the core of the problem is that the source for sk98lin is missing a MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE declaration. Adding this to the source is a one-line patch:
http://oss.sgi.com/archives/netdev/2004-09/msg01444.html

This is fixed in the new version of the driver from Syskonnect. Unfortunately, the patch they posted to netdev was too big for inclusion into the kernel. The new rewritten skge driver from Stephen Hemminger has this problem fixed (see netdev archives).

Michal