Re: "Couldn't download apt" when debootstrapping sid-ia32 into chroot

On (19/01/05 04:01), Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I just took delivery of a Acer 1524WLMi (AMD64) and after shrinking the
> > XP partition using qtparted (from OSSwatchKnoppix), installed a sarge
> > i386 system and a sid-amd64 system using the sarge-amd64-netinst.iso
> > from 9 Jan 2005.
> >
> > Everything installed fine pretty much out of the box and this thing
> > really flies using the 64bit kernel - great work guys ;)
> >
> > However, I can't play and be impressed forever - I need to do dome work
> > ;) which requires Open Office.
> >
> > So following the excellent Debian GNU/Linux AMD64 HOW-TO I did:
> >
> > debootstrap --arch i386 sid /var/chroot/sid-ia32 \
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian
> >
> > I got:
> > "W: ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
> > was corrupt"
> >
> > and after "Checking ... " a whole list of packages it baulked on apt
> > with the message in the subject above.
> >
> > Is this a temporary mirror problem or something more serious?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >

> > Clive
>
> That usualy means the mirror is broken.
>
> I recommend using cdebootstrap though.

Hi Goswin

Yes, it did seem to be a temporary mirror problem.

I tried cdebootstrap but couldn't seem to apt-get within the chroot; it
was late and I was tired and it may also have been something to do with
my sources.list.

Anyway, I wiped the chroot this morning, reinstalled debootstrap, edited
the sources.list and it all worked fine. I'm now running OOo in the
chroot from the amd64 system ;)

Great job you guys! ...documentation almost idiot proof (from an idiot)

Many thanks

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...