"Couldn't download apt" when debootstrapping sid-ia32 into chroot

Hi

I just took delivery of a Acer 1524WLMi (AMD64) and after shrinking the
XP partition using qtparted (from OSSwatchKnoppix), installed a sarge
i386 system and a sid-amd64 system using the sarge-amd64-netinst.iso
from 9 Jan 2005.

Everything installed fine pretty much out of the box and this thing
really flies using the 64bit kernel - great work guys ;)

However, I can't play and be impressed forever - I need to do dome work
;) which requires Open Office.

So following the excellent Debian GNU/Linux AMD64 HOW-TO I did:

debootstrap --arch i386 sid /var/chroot/sid-ia32 \
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian

I got:
"W: ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
was corrupt"

and after "Checking ... " a whole list of packages it baulked on apt
with the message in the subject above.

Is this a temporary mirror problem or something more serious?

Many thanks

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...